The Lords of the Fallen is an upcoming action role-playing video game that is set to be released on October 13, 2023, for Windows PC, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and Series S. It is a successor to the 2014 video game of the same name, which was praised for its challenging combat and dark fantasy atmosphere.
The new game promises to deliver a more expansive and immersive experience, with a larger world, a deeper story, and a revamped gameplay system. Here are some of the key features and details of The Lords of the Fallen (2023) Video Game.
The Lords of the Fallen is played from a third-person perspective, and it adopts elements from Soulslike games, such as stamina management, dodge rolling, and punishing enemies. Players can use both melee weapons and magic to defeat foes, and they can also customize their character’s appearance, skills, and equipment. The game’s campaign can be completed solo or cooperatively with another player online. The game also features a player-versus-player multiplayer mode, where players can challenge each other in various arenas.
One of the most unique aspects of the game is the dual-world system, which allows players to switch between two realms: Axiom, the world of the living, and Umbral, the world of the dead. Both worlds share the same physical space, but they have different layouts, enemies, secrets, and puzzles.
Players can use a magical lantern to access Umbral, where they can find new paths, items, and lore. However, Umbral is also more dangerous and hostile than Axiom, and players will lose their unspent experience points if they die there. Players will have to balance their exploration between both worlds and use their lanterns wisely.
The Lords of the Fallen is set in a dark fantasy world that has been ruled by a cruel demon God named Adyr for centuries. Adyr has enslaved humanity and forced them to worship him as their only deity. However, a group of rebels known as the Dark Crusaders have risen up against Adyr’s tyranny, and they have managed to find a way to weaken his power by destroying his temples. The player takes on the role of one of the Dark Crusaders, who embarks on an epic quest to overthrow Adyr and free mankind from his oppression.
The game’s story is influenced by the player’s choices and actions throughout the game. Depending on how the player interacts with other characters, factions, and events, they will shape their own destiny and the fate of the world. The game also features multiple endings, which reflect the consequences of the player’s decisions.
The Lords of the Fallen is developed by Hexworks, a new studio founded by CI Games in 2020. Hexworks is led by Saul Gascon, executive producer, and Cezar Virtosu, creative director. Both Gascon and Virtosu have extensive experience in developing action RPGs, having worked on titles such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Hexworks is composed of around 50 developers based in Barcelona and Bucharest.
Hexworks is using Unreal Engine 5 to create The Lords of the Fallen. Unreal Engine 5 is a cutting-edge game engine that enables stunning graphics, realistic physics, dynamic lighting, and advanced audio. Hexworks aims to deliver a visually impressive and technically smooth game that takes full advantage of the next-generation hardware.
The Lords of the Fallen will be available in three different versions: Standard Edition ($59.99), Deluxe Edition ($69.99), and Collector’s Edition ($99.99). The Standard Edition includes only the base game. The Deluxe Edition includes the base game plus some additional digital content: Dark Crusader starting class (which can be unlocked later in-game), Dark Crusader armor and weapon set (which can be found later in-game), 100-page digital artbook featuring exclusive illustrations from the game’s world, digital soundtrack composed by Cris Velasco and Knut Avenstroup Haugen (who also worked on God of War and Horizon Zero Dawn), and 3D model viewer that allows players to view every in-game character model in high-resolution detail.
The Collector’s Edition includes everything from the Deluxe Edition plus some physical goodies: a 10-inch statue of Adyr (the main antagonist), a steel bookcase with exclusive cover art, a map of Axiom printed on fabric, a set of four enamel pins featuring the symbols of Adyr’s temples, and a certificate of authenticity signed by Hexworks.
The Lords of the Fallen will require a powerful PC or console to run smoothly. Here are the minimum and recommended system requirements for the PC version of the game:
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i5-2500K or AMD FX-6300
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti or AMD Radeon RX 570
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 50 GB available space
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit
- Processor: Intel Core i7-6700K or AMD Ryzen 5 3600
- Memory: 16 GB RAM
- Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 or AMD Radeon RX 5600 XT
- DirectX: Version 12
- Storage: 50 GB available space
Features You Don’t Know
- The game is a spiritual successor to the 2014 game of the same name, but it is not a direct sequel. It features a new story, setting, characters, and gameplay mechanics.
- The game’s development has gone through several changes and challenges. It was originally announced in 2014, with a planned release date of 2017. However, the game was delayed several times, and the original developer, Deck13 Interactive, was replaced by Defiant Studios in 2018. In 2019, CI Games terminated its contract with Defiant Studios and decided to restart the game’s development from scratch with Hexworks in 2020.
- The game’s dual-world system was inspired by the concept of liminality, which refers to the state of being in between two different phases or realms. The developers wanted to create a game that explores the themes of life and death, light and darkness, order and chaos, and faith and doubt.
- The game’s world is influenced by various cultures and mythologies, such as Norse, Celtic, Slavic, and Egyptian. The developers also drew inspiration from historical events and locations, such as the Crusades, the Black Death, and the Catacombs of Paris.
- The game’s combat system is designed to be challenging but fair. The developers wanted to create a game that rewards skill, strategy, and creativity, rather than brute force or grinding. The game also features a dynamic difficulty system that adapts to the player’s performance and preferences.
- The game’s character customization system is very flexible and diverse. Players can choose from nine different classes, each with their own strengths, weaknesses, and playstyles. Players can also mix and match skills and equipment from different classes, creating their own unique builds and combinations.
- The game’s multiplayer mode is optional but encouraged. Players can team up with other players online to tackle the game’s campaign cooperatively, or they can challenge other players in competitive matches. The multiplayer mode also features a ranking system and leaderboards that track the player’s progress and achievements.
- The game’s soundtrack is composed by Cris Velasco and Knut Avenstroup Haugen, who are both renowned for their work on other video games. Velasco has composed music for games such as God of War, Borderlands, Mass Effect, and Overwatch. Haugen has composed music for games such as Horizon Zero Dawn, Age of Conan, and Conan Exiles.
- The game’s art direction is led by Cezar Virtosu, who has worked on games such as Assassin’s Creed Odyssey, Ghost Recon Wildlands, and The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. Virtosu has created a dark and gritty aesthetic for the game, using realistic textures, colors, and lighting effects.
- The game’s voice cast includes some famous actors and actresses, such as Troy Baker (who voices Joel in The Last of Us), Laura Bailey (who voices Kait Diaz in Gears of War), Liam O’Brien (who voices Illidan Stormrage in World of Warcraft), and Jennifer Hale (who voices Commander Shepard in Mass Effect).
- The game’s collector’s edition includes a statue of Adyr, the main antagonist of the game. Adyr is a powerful demon who has ruled over humanity for centuries. He is depicted as a massive horned beast with four arms and wings. He wields a flaming sword and a scepter that can control the elements.
- The game’s pre-order bonus includes some exclusive items that can enhance the player’s gameplay experience. These items include three different armor tints that can change the color of any armor in the game, five health items that can restore the player’s health instantly, five mana items that can replenish the player’s mana instantly, and three experience items that can boost the player’s experience gain temporarily.